Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Privacy Online and Off

There were many issues in these videos about privacy that alarmed me. Majority of what we do online is private or at least it should be. Many of the big tech companies such as Google and Microsoft do not take your privacy seriously. It bothers me that the majority of my devices that I use daily have the ability to be wiretapped as well. I am a college student and there are many things that could pop up on my social media feed. There are ads for credit card companies that tell me to build my credit. I have never even googled anything on credit cards either. This majorly affects not only me but my friends and family. There is private medical information from both me and my family that is out there that can be leaked. There is a point in having some information in order to stop criminal threats and terrorists but this seems excessive to me. The government in this position has way too much power and information about us as citizens. The solution for this is for the government to hold some of these big tech companies and phone companies accountable for the information they collect. The government is also another issue in the sense of privacy. The government collects way more information about where we shop, where we drive typically and much more. I think a major thing we can do to protect ourselves from privacy invasion is not giving information away so easily. If you have to order something from Amazon, you can make a fake Gmail account with a fake name, so Amazon can’t sell your information to a third party company. Another major way is not using real information when signing up for accounts as well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

FInal Blog Post

  As someone who is an avid user of social media, this semester really opened my eyes to the terrifying side of not only social media but te...